Monday, February 20, 2012

Valkyrie: The Red Tail Hawk

I was winding up an afternoon last week and looked to the school playground behind my daughter's home.  Approximately 200 yards away were two gentlemen with a HUGE bird.  It was pretty obvious that they were falconers and that they were working with the bird. 

I walked through the muddy field and paused, as I got near, and asked whether I could come closer.  They waved me on.  Here is where I met Valkyrie.  He was teaching his two humans how to hunt with a creature born to hunt.

His two trainees are Randy and Jon.  Valkyrie owns Jon.  And, I believe Valkyrie rents Randy for assistance with the training!  Someone needs to run around the field with the rabbit ears on his head!  HA!!

Seriously, the guys were wonderful and Valkyrie was majestic.  He was HUGE.  I was permitted to hold him..and pet him.  But, all this was done under Jon's watchful eye.   That bird was COMFORTABLE around both guys.  And, I can assure you that the talons were like razors and when he looked at you, you knew you had better be on your best behavior.  It reminded me of my 8th grade English teacher.  But, that's another story.

The boys are training him to hunt rabbits and squirels.  I pointed to my daughters house and mentioned that the neighbors to the north have a small, yappy lap dog.  Randy and Jon looked at each other.  Then at Valkyie. Then at each other.  Finally, Jon turned to me and said, "for a small fee, we may be able to handle this problem for you."

Then, we all laughed...sort of nervously.  But we laughed!  I believe Valkyrie shed a small tear of disappointment.

Meet Valkyrie.

 

Meet Valkyrie and Randy.

And, Valkyrie, Randy, and Jon

Note:  No photos of the little yappy lap dog snack....yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment