Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bob Younger

The town of Northfield, Minnesota was founded in 1855 by John North.  On Sept 7th, 21 years later, Northfield saw it's most important historic event:  the James-Younger gang tried to rob the First National Bank.  Yes...that's Jesse James, Frank, the Younger brothers and others in the gang. 

Each year the town celebrates this event.  To be clear, they do NOT celebrate the outlaws.  They celebrate the bravery of the townspeople who took up arms and fought back.   They remember the two citizens who were killed and who still have relatives who live in the area. 

Some of those relatives, and hundreds of others, participate in the annual Defeat of Jesse James Days.

Meet Chip!


Chips was the first person I photographed when I got to town.  He was gracious and helpful to someone who didn't really know what was going on.  I was very fortunate to find him.

He was the leader of the raiders..the gang!  He played Bob Younger this year.  I imagine he has played other roles.  But, he has lead this group of volunteers in the re-enactment for 42 years! He now has children and grandchildren who participate.

He was passionate about this role and what the community was doing to remember this event. 

He asked whether I was with anyone.  I told him no, that I was just here by myself.  He invited me back to the "camp".  We walked about a half mile into a small woods where I found the entire gang, and families, around a camp fire.  I was offered food and drink and the opportunity to meet and photograph many of the actors. 

Chip...you were awesome!  I want to extend my sincere thanks for your hospitality.  Not only you, but all of the actors were very kind and generous.  Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment