Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Getty Villa: Antiquities Continued with Paintings

Besides the statuary, I was very impressed with the paintings.  Certainly not as colorful as the Renaissance. But, still amazing in detail and reflecting the world of its day.   

Here is a small wall or ceiling fragment showing Bacchus and his consort Ariadne. 


Apparently Ariadne has been left on an island, deserted by her lover Theseus.   Bacchus, a Greek God, discovers her alone on the island, grieving at being abandoned, and the party begins.  OK...I could have made it a bit more scholarly than that.  But, you get the idea.

Here is a close up:


Yeh, I can't really see a problem with wandering around a deserted island and stumbling upon an abandoned lover and you are a God with a lot of wine.   I believe I had a dream or two like that when I was in my teens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment