Thursday, May 2, 2013

My Birthday

Today is my birthday.  I don't usually make a big deal of it. But this one is sort of a milestone.  Sure, I know it is a young person's world.  But even as I get older I am not complaining about it.  I am a strong believer of aging gracefully and with dignity.  Complaining doesn't help.  It just makes people want to avoid you.  I believe in being comfortable with who you are.   And, I believe in striving to be better.  Remember, you are leaving a legacy..a history.  You really don't want people showing up at your funeral and saying, "Thank GOD!".   You'd like a little tear or two.

Below is a snow blower that is about 40 years old.  This is WAY before global warming (sorry Al).  I was around when my father purchased it.  He used it for his business of building custom homes.  We used it after the snow storms to clear out jobs and driveways, etc. when I was younger.  It sure beat shoveling.

I think it is beautiful. To the untrained eye, this is an ancient, monstrosity, belching smoke and noise.  But, to me, it is history.  It is my life.


My father left it in the care of my maternal grandfather, Carl.  Carl loved to take care of it.  He changed the spark plug every year.  He once told me to hold that black wire when he pulled the starter rope.  Think of it as a painful version of the "pull my finger" joke.  It hurt.  But, I remember that event well.

I am fortunate.  I had good medical care growing up.   Good food.   Well, there was that sugary cereal that all the kids ate. Now, I get something like an annual..or bi-annual physical.  I think of it as just getting a tune up.  Getting thespark plug and oil changed. 


It is important to not forget the oil in the gears that turn the blades. Carl even changed that every couple of years.  Just like a colonoscopy.  Can't forget the business end of things.  It kept things running smoothly.

And, we can't forget the exhaust.  Carl didn't do much with the exhaust.  But, I seem to recall him taking some steel wool to it a few times.

I am not going to talk about my own exhaust.  I could.  But, there are a few people who read this blog who actually know me and that is just a bit TMI.  Maybe it is just the wrong mix of gas.   Ohhhh, I can't tell you how tempting this road is.

But, I digress.

The point is that I did not take care of this snow blower the last couple of years.  I was busy.  And, I could always get it running.  And, it blew snow further than those new fangled,light-eight blowers.   Of course, no one could run it except me.  And, that was fine.  We formed a bond.  I was proud of that machine.  And, could clear my driveway faster than all the neighbors.  I could also wake them up from a sound sleep 3 houses away.  hehehehehe

It died this year.  The truth be told, it died at the end of the winter season that wouldn't end.  I gave it a transfusion of oil as it tackled it's last snow fall.  8" of heavy wet snow.  For a younger machine, it would have been a challenge.  For a 40 year old snow blower low on oil, it was fatal.

He fired....and growled...and turned into the whiteness.  Finally, after the last pass of the driveway, cutting to the edges, on the way back to the garage, he died.  He had finished his task.

I now have a new blower in the garage anxiously waiting for winter.   It is shiny.  Powerful.  5 forward speeds and two reverse.   I don't like it much.  It has no passion for it's purpose.  It has no humility for a lifetime of doing it's job, without fail.  It knew it couldn't quit until it was done.   And, it didn't.  I really miss it.

Take care of yourselves.  You only get one pass at this.  And, don't quit until you are done.  You know what I mean.





No comments:

Post a Comment