Friday, August 30, 2013

The Doolittle Raid: A Survivor

As I wandered around the air show, I saw signs in the tents mentioning VIP's.  I really didn't know what an airshow VIP was until I met the gentleman below:

Meet Richard Cole:


At this time, Richard is in his 90's and looking GOOD! 

Below is a photograph he was selling with his autograph.  I gladly paid him for one.

Richard enlisted as a Flying Cadet in Nov 1940 just a few weeks before Pearl Harbor. He completed his flight training in July 1941 and was the co-pilot for Lt. Col. James Doolittle on the first plane off the carrier Hornet.  He, and the entire crew survived.   They were sheltered and hidden by the Chinese for 11 months.  But, he continued flying over the China-Burma-India theater until June 1943.  After that, he flew with the 1st Air Commandos in support of allied operations behind enemy lines. 

Richard is one of only 4 survivors of the Doolittle Raid still alive.  NOW I know what an airshow VIP is.

I shook the hand of a hero with unimaginable courage.   I was greatly honored to visit with him.

Thank you, Richard.


 

1 comment: