Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Business Trip Visiting Friends to the North

I travel for business.  Certainly a lot of people travel much more than me.  But, I am traveling a lot more than I used to.  And, generally, I like it.  It is an adventure to go someplace new, find your way around, meet people, talk to them, tackle problems, build positive relationships that have the potential to last a lifetime.

A few jobs ago, I was asked as part of the interview process if my passport was updated.  I assured them it was.   The day I started the job, they informed me I would be flying to Paris and Brussels in two weeks for 10 days.  I thought, "I LOVE THIS JOB!"  On the next job, they didn't ask about my passport.  There was no need for international travel.  But, a month into that job, I drove to Fargo.   I sort of got a tear in my eye.

There is a fine line between tragedy and comedy.  And, there it was.

But, in this new job, I get to travel more.  And, I get to travel to more interesting places than Fargo (sorry to anyone from Fargo). 

I recently made my second visit ever to Winnipeg.  The first visit was over 25 years ago.  So, I didn't remember much.

But, I had a great time visiting co-workers, seeing the city (a beautiful, clean city), and sampling the local cuisine.  Fortunately, co-workers could point me to their favorite places.

This was facing me as I drove into a parking lot for another restaurant.


It was a painting on the side of a building.   And, I thought it was stunning.

Late at night, just outside the hotel:

 
I have those same wild grasses at my house!
 
And, a nice view of the outside of the hotel.   It was nice to be welcomed!
 
 

I hope to get back to Winnipeg soon.   Well, it is winter.   Maybe......yeh, I want to go back.   I heard there is a Voyageur celebration sometime in February.  I may try to hit that on my next business trip.  It should be a wonderful photo opportunity!  And, I actually have a connection to the Voyageur's.  In my youth, I guided canoe trips into the BWCA and Quetico Provincial Forest for 3 summers.   It was a wonderful time.  And, for a long time, I had a small Canadian flag on my label.

Maybe I'm part Canadian on my Mother's side, twice removed. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment