Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Kids Museum in St. Louis: Gravity and the Standard Normal Distribution

I deal with probability and risk in my job.  So, I really like introducing the grandkids, and older kids, and adults, to probability issues.  I know, I am weird that way.  I am not exactly the life of a party. 

But, I found this display just delightful.  It consists of the sign, and about a 6' display that you could turn.  The display consists of small ball bearings and a "maze" of sorts where they will fall when the display is inverted.


I turned the display upside down so all the ball bearings would go to the top...THEN, turn it upside down again and let the ball bearings fall through the maze.  The result was a predictable Standard Normal Distribution.  

The grandkids did not want to know about standard deviation and probability of +/- 2 standard deviations from the mean.   So, I tried later that night during a bed time stories to tell them about the power ranger called Standard Deviation and his power of doing statistics.  They were not impressed and wanted some mutant ninja turtle thing instead.  What the hell is a mutant ninja turtle?


I need to work with them on that.  I will also admit that I did this experiment 3 times and took nearly 15 minutes of everyone's valuable time to watch gravity work it's magic.

I am weird that way.  And, I heard about it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment