Tuesday, December 17, 2013

McCabes Guitar Store: The Free Market

Nice music. 


I found myself rummaging around the stacks of music.  It never ceases to amaze me how much talent there is in the world.  The free market system works amazing well.   People with the talent decide to market it.  And, they find supporters.  There isn't a collective that decides what music we should listen to.  A collective that determines what is "appropriate".    But, I recall when the Beatles first came to the US.  I never understood the fascination, and scandal, with the length of their hair.   What a silly thing to focus on. 

OK...no political message intended....well..not much intended.  Just a casual observation.

Getting back on track.


This is an old resonator guitar.  Its made out of metal and has a very distinctive sound.  It is awesome!  But, it isn't my sound.  I can appreciate those who play it and who like the tone.  I didn't think we should ban it just because I didn't like it.  It is, or at least was, a free country. 

Damn...I appear to be a on political kick. 

Read a banned book.  Listen to people with whom you disagree. Talk to them.  And, remember, the most important speech to protect is that with which you don't agree. 

Carry on.




 

2 comments:

  1. "Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. Long ago those who wrote our First Amendment charted a different course. They believed a society can be truly strong only when it is truly free. In the realm of expression they put their faith, for better or for worse, in the enlightened choice of the people, free from the interference of a policeman's intrusive thumb or a judge's heavy hand. So it is that the Constitution protects coarse expression as well as refined, and vulgarity no less than elegance. "

    ~~ George Bernard Shaw, Preface to Mrs. Warren's Profession

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, ES! Well said!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete