Friday, May 30, 2014

Curling!

I was graciously invited to tag along with friends as they went curling.  Since I had only watched curling on television (about as often as golf, actually), I was very grateful for the invitation to join them, learn about the game, and get a few photos.

First....the rocks!


As near as I can tell, every team has about 100 rocks.   And they fling them down the ice.....And, this is no mean feat considering they weigh about 40 lbs each!

OK....I will do better.  First, each team has 4 players and each player gets to throw 2 rocks.  So, each team really only has 8 rocks.  But,  that's a lot of rocks (16) at each end of the sheet!   Yes...the players throw both directions!


toward this:

where the objective is to place your rock in the center.   And, that includes knocking other people's rocks OUT.  I rather like that part the best.  Offense!!

And, you keep score!


It took a while to figure out the scoring from looking at the score board.  I kept interpreting it as if I were 90 degrees off.  It didn't make sense.  But, I think this is something like a baseball inning.  And, only one team gets to score in each "inning" or end.  That is what was throwing me.  You didn't see any score, not even a zero, on the team that didn't get any points in an end....I think. 

It was all too confusing for an old guy like me.  

But, it was FUN to watch.   And, I was made to feel most welcome by a delightful and charming group!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment