Friday, August 14, 2015

The Grand Stick

Meet Leo!

Leo plays the "Grand Stick".  I had never heard of this instrument.  It was amazing.  I heard him playing at the Palm Room at the Fort Garry hotel on one of my trips.  And, I took time to visit with him and learn about this instrument.


It consists of 12 strings with the base strings in the middle and moving towards the left (as you look at it).  The left hand reaches around to play the strings nearest the body.  The right hand plays the 6 strings furthest away.


There isn't a body, such as what a guitar or violin has, that vibrates and shapes the sound.  This is all electronic.  And, you don't pluck the strings like a guitar.  You press them down like a piano.

It was the most amazing thing I have seen and heard in a long time.  It was beautiful.

To see more of Leo, check out this video here.

Thanks Leo. It was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment