Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Winnipeg Train Station

I often can't get my work done in time on a Friday to catch a flight back to MN that evening.  So, I often go for a walk after dinner to see the city.

The train station in Winnipeg isn't far from the hotel.   And, I loved the dome.


Winnipeg was a huge city 100+ yrs ago.  It was the gateway to western Canada.   Thousands of people went through this station.
 

I loved seeing the large black and white photos from the early 1900's of Canadian immigrants arriving at their new homes.   On my last trip, just below the window below, was a room where about 100 new immigrants were welcomed as Canadian citizens.   


I think of my grandfather and the journey he took, at age 16, through Ellis Island.  It takes something to leave all you know and go to another country.

I really like this building and what it stands for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment