Saturday, December 26, 2015

Back to the Chicago Museum of Art! Picasso's "The Head"

Picasso did "The Head" in 1927.  According to the placard, this is an example of Picasso's continuous experimentation with style and technique.  "To make this work, he laid the canvas flat and sprinkled powdered pigment, in a manner similar to Naive American sand painting, onto the still-wet painted surface." 


The placard goes on to state that in some areas he scrapped some of the pigment off.  But, in other areas, he left it alone.  The result is some areas of the painting are blurred and "flat".

Personal opinion here.....I don't like it.  I have a granddaughter that recently drew me and it looks similar.  But, what do I know.  I am obviously not an art critic from New York.    Or, she's a savant!









No comments:

Post a Comment