Monday, December 28, 2015

Chicago Museum of Art: Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks"

I have seen this image before.  But, I have never seen the original. I really like it.


Painted in 1942, it depicts a restaurant on New York's Greenwich Ave.  The placard didn't state whether this was late at night or early in the morning.  But, as I was writing this post, I originally had written that it was "late at night".  But, those words gnawed at me and I couldn't leave them.  For me, as I look at this, the painting is very early in the morning.  The day is just getting started.   The usual's have come in for their morning coffee and breakfast.   You can just about see the smoke of a cigarette from the gentleman with is back to us.

I like the simplicity.  I like the vibrant yellow and reds against the darker shadows.  And, I like the implicit hope for the beginning of the day.

Yeh....the beginning of the day.   Very early. That works for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment