Thursday, January 4, 2018

New Job

Almost exactly 6 months ago, I was let go from my position.  It wasn't about performance.  It was all about dollars.  It didn't matter that I was well under my budget YTD.  It didn't matter that I had no adverse performance issues in my file.  It was all about saving the company money so those further upstream could make their bonuses.  We weren't losing money.  We were doing well.   Just someone decided that it wasn't "well enough".

It was the first time in my life that this had happened.  And, I am still not over it.  Learning that hard work, honesty, integrity were less valued was disappointing.

The last 6 months have been fascinating and frustrating.  I have learned that everything is done on LinkedIn now.  I had to update my resume and LinkedIn profile. And, I had been far too busy to do much networking while I was working.  I learned that was a mistake.

I was fortunate enough to meet dozens of people that enjoy networking.  They were fun, creative, insightful, and helpful.

It was through networking support that I found a company that needed someone with my background.  They didn't bat an eye at my age.

Today I accepted the position they offered.   And, I am grateful.  I have one more good run left in me.  And, this looks, at least on the surface, like a good fit.

So, in spite of my Scandinavian heritage, I actually showed some emotion today.


I will, of course, continue to work hard.  I will, of course, continue to be ethical and treat my co-workers with the respect they deserve for no other reason than that they are human beings.  And I will continue to be part of the networking community.   It's people helping people, folks.

Keep safe and warm everyone.  It is a good thing we have global warming.  Think how cold it would be without that!


No comments:

Post a Comment