Saturday, September 1, 2018

Nuremberg: Zeppelin Field

Zeppelin Field became known as the Nazi Party rally grounds.  It was here that thousands of Nazi's would gather for marches and speeches.

This is what you may remember as Allied forces blew up the giant Swastika at the top of the main building.

I hardly recognized this area.  It has largely been abandoned.  As you can see, the weeds have grown up.


Almost no one on the tour walked up the steps.  I was told it wasn't exactly secure.  But, lets be serious, it's a concrete building and steps.  I didn't think it would fall down.

The center railing, near the right side of the image, is where Hitler, and other party officials, would stand for their speeches.


I had to go there.


It felt strange that over 80 years ago, this was crowded with Nazi's.  Oblivious to the horror they would unleash on the world.  While no one knows how many people died during WWII, most believe 50-70 million people died.  That was roughly 3% of the worlds population in 1940.  Military deaths were in the 21-25 million range.  The rest of those who died were civilians.  Many of those died by famine and starvation.

I stood on this platform.  I held the railing.  And I grieved for the innocent who suffered horribly for this madness.



No comments:

Post a Comment