Saturday, November 24, 2018

Pointe du Hoc

This was another place I needed to see.  On this site, 225 US Army rangers climbed a 100 meter hill, in the face of rifle and machine gun fire as well as hand grenades being thrown down from the cliffs.


The objective was to capture huge artillery pieces the Germans had placed at the top of the cliff.   A lot of men died that day...and there were no guns.  The Germans had moved them back.



This was the first time I had walked into a German pillbox.  I can't image the bravery of the Rangers climbing that hill.



The grounds were covered with huge holes where the ships had shelled the Germans.  Now, they were filled in with weeds.  But, you could clearly see where the shells had landed.   I don't think I would have wanted to be sitting in a pillbox with those shells raining down on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment