Monday, May 5, 2014

Festival du Voyageur: The Sash!

There is little more important to the Voyageur fan than the sash.   The sash functioned as a belt for the Voyageur.  And, it could be tightened about his mid-section as he carried two 90 lb packs of furs over the portages.  

The design here is quite traditional, going back to the original Hudson Bay Company. 


Since I used to guide canoe trips into the BWCA and Quetico Provincial Forest 100 years ago, I am quite familiar with the sash and I have long desired one.

I was thrilled to see them for sale.  I purchased one for myself  and 4 smaller ones, for the grandkids.  NOW...I am working on a Voyageur induction ceremony.  I think...a small puff on a pipe...and some French words...and dipping a pine bough in the water and over them...might just do it.  Of course, it will need to be filmed. 

Think of this as a crazy Norwegian version of a bar mitzvah.   In my case, I think the following criteria will need to be met in order to become a "Voyageur":
  • Must be out of diapers.
  • Must be able to tie your own shoes.
  • Must be able to count to 50 (we are Norwegians, after all and that could be a stretch)
  • Must say that they have the coolest Papa in the world.
Then...they are a Man.  Of course, one granddaughter will then, be a Woman.  Can't forget that!

Now, to find a pipe and some tobacco.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment