Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend

Typically I don't post on Sunday morning.  I try to find an interesting post for Saturday and then let it ride until Monday morning.

But, this is Memorial Day weekend.  So, I want to post today and tomorrow.

I went to Fort Snelling National Cemetery on Thursday.  It is a deeply solemn place.  And, as some readers know, I go to visit Bob.   I will talk about Bob tomorrow.

For now, just a bit of information:  The first burial in the "National Cemetery" was July 5th, 1939.  It was Capt. George H. Mallon, "whose acts of heroism at Meuse-Argonne in France were recognized with the Congressional Medal of Honor. Besides Capt. Mallon, seven other medal of honor recipients are buried there.  Following the dedication of the new cemetery, arrangements were made for the exhumation of the remains of those buried at the older (Fort Snelling) post cemetery and the reinterment of the 680 soldiers who served from 1820-1939 buried in Fort Snelling National Cemetery." 


Today, we remember those that lie here.


Each fall, before the ground freezes, roughly 1,000 more graves are prepared.


Seemingly endless rows of white stones.


And, the center drive for funeral processions, registrations, etc.


It is hard to not go there and be moved.

I went on Thursday for a couple of reasons.  First, I was close.   Second, I wanted to spend more quiet time.  Memorial Day is always very crowded.  I may be there again, though.  I think Bob enjoyed my visit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment