Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter

First, this isn't going to be a religious post.  Depending upon ones religious perspective, Easter can mean a lot of things.   But there is a theme, a red thread, that can broadly be used to describe Easter:  Re-birth.  

As I thought about today's post, my mind went to my past. My past that is MUCH beyond my life.

So, for the first time in this blog, I am posting a couple of photos that I didn't take.


This is my paternal grandfather when he was about 18.  He came to this country alone, as something like an indentured servant.  He worked a farm for 7 years, fulfilling his contract and then, he began his life in a new country as a free man.


He worked hard.  Farming in that area he settled wasn't easy.  They spent more time picking rocks out of the fields than crops.  But, he made his living by working hard.  He was a strong and proud man.  He also knew that the future of his legacy depended upon education.  He dug the footings in the local school with that team of horses.   He didn't get paid to do it.  He did it because he knew it was right.  He sacrificed his own time and energy for his legacy.


And, this was his legacy.  My father is there, the youngest.  My grandfather was 72 when my dad graduated high school.  Now, with the exception of my father, they are gone.  Gladys was the last to go.  There she is, third from the right, behind my dad.


In those days, the small towns played 9 man football.  They didn't have enough people to have an offensive team and an defensive team.  You played the entire game.  That's my dad on the right.


So, thinking about this, I spent last night putting small chocolates and coins in plastic Easter eggs and hiding them for my legacy.  The Big D and Little H will find their treasures in the morning.  I will quietly know that I am doing what I can to watch over them, guide them, and protect them.

There is little more important that this role that I have.  There is little more imporant than this role that we all have...to ensure our legacy carries on the hopes and dreams of those who paved the way for them. 

Happy Easter all.  Happy re-birth.  And, never forget your past.  That, and your legacy, is all you really have.




1 comment:

  1. I am glad you have legacy, mine will for the most part die out with me, my daughter raised by others, bearing another's name.

    It's good what you do, what you pass on, and your continuity in it all.

    ReplyDelete